Braised Short Ribs
- 4 short ribs
- Pinch of both salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots- large chop
- 3 stalks of celery- large chop
- 1 onion- large chop
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3-4 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley- stems attached
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme- on stem
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp cloves
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp chives- finely chopped
- Season the short ribs generously with both salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pot over high heat, add oil, once hot, add seasoned short ribs.
- Sear them on all sides and take out of the pot- set aside.
- Add the chopped carrots, celery and onions into the heated pot, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste and mix to cover all cooking veggies.
- Deglaze the pot with red wine and place seared short ribs back into the pot.
- Fill the pot with beef stock until about ¾ the way up the meat.
- Top with parsley, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns, allspice and cloves.
- Cover with a piece of parchment paper (cut to the size of the pot) then place the lid over the top and put into the oven at 275 degrees F for 3.5 hours.
- Remove the ribs and strain the liquid (taking out all the veggies and herbs) reserving only the liquid back into the pot.
- Add in 1 tbsp cornstarch and whisk well to combine.
- Simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Add in butter, once melted, stir and add apple cider vinegar.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and finely sliced green onions.